To share information, best practices and lessons learned on effective external prison oversight and to enhance openness, transparency and accountability among prison authorities.
- Build an international community and network of organizations responsible for prison oversight;
- Share information on best practices and lessons learned on effective external prison oversight;
- Generate constructive dialogue on the values and benefits of external oversight with prison authorities;
- Promote compliance with the Rule of Law and domestic/international human rights obligations with respect to prisoners and prison staff;
- Provide technical advice and assistance to organizations responsible for prison oversight as requested and appropriate;
- Provide capacity building on oversight operations, including investigations, inspections, visits and alternative dispute resolution.
- Provide a platform to share information, best practices and lessons learned on external prison oversight and human rights among the Network and ICPA members;
- Promote constructive and professional dialogue between external prison oversight organizations with prison authorities subject to their oversight;
- Share news, reports and publications via a semi-annual (to become quarterly) newsletter covering these topics:
- Message from the Network Chair;
- Recent reports/initiatives from Network members;
- Best practices and case studies;
- Legal updates on domestic and international human rights;
- Academic articles and graduate theses on external prison oversight;
- Future conferences/events of interest;
- On the move and vacancies.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to jurisdictions as requested and appropriate;
- Identify trends and issues in challenging areas of prison operations, including solitary confinement, use of force, mental health care, and addressing the needs of vulnerable segments of the prisoner population;
- Raise awareness on values and benefits of external prison oversight, including its contribution to public safety.