Two days of conference plus additional pre and post event activities. Make your selection during registration.
The Symposium will be held at the Holiday Inn Porto Gaia Hotel in Porto, Portugal from March 27-30, 2023. Symposium events are open to all attendees. In addition to the two-day Symposium, there will be a half-day, university led pre-course event on the 27th of March and a set of post-Symposium tours of prison and community facilities on the 30th of March.
Monday 27th March (optional)
For those who would like to travel to Porto earlier, the General Directorate of Reintegration and Prisons (DGRSP) will be organising a half-day pre-conference training session (1400-1700hrs) at the University Campus in Porto.
Limited to 20 persons per topic
• Topic 1: New approaches on the rehabilitation of offenders (Fully boked)
• Topic 2: Digital transition in Justice
• Topic 3: Restorative Justice in post-sentential context
Tuesday 28th and Wednesday 29th March
The full programme is currently in development, but here are a few highlights:
Keynote Presentation: Bridging the Void - Supporting Reintegration
- Fergus McNeill, Professor of Criminology and Social Work, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
Panel Discussion: International Perspectives on Key Challenges for Rehabilitating Reintegration
- Brian Lovins, Principal for Justice System Partners, USA
- Yong Lee Shie, Commissioner, Singapore Prison Service
- Rui A. Gonçalves, Director General, General Directorate of Reintegration and Prisons, Portugal
What Works vs. What’s Right in Rehabilitating Reintegration
- Sonja Snacken, Professor of Criminology, Penology and Sociology of Law in the Department of Criminology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
- Gerry McNally, Assistant Director, The Probation Service, Ireland
- Jana Špero, Secretary General, Confederation of European Probation, Croatia
Mental health and reoffending: latest evidence on assessment and treatment
- Seena Fazel, Professor of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Oxford, UK
Lived Experience Perspectives on Rehabilitating Reintegration
On the Tuesday evening we will also be running a Social Programme (dinner on a boat) courtesy of our hosts DGRSP. This is optional and can be selected during your registration for the event.
Thursday 30th March (optional) - ends approx. 1300hrs
For those wishing to stay longer in Porto our hosts will be organising visits to custodial establishments including a mental health institution and/or probation centre.
A limited number of participants can also opt-in to take part in facility visits which will include:
- A female prison with a management partnership between the Ministry of Justice and a welfare institution
- A male prison with a special unit for Mental Disorder prisoners.
Select this option during your registration process if you would like to attend.
Ready to register? Click the Book Now button and join us in Porto for this exciting line-up of events!